Monday, December 1, 2014

I SURVIVED THANKSGIVING!!!!

Hey guys!

Ok, first let me say that becoming a blogger makes u really aware of time.   I swear I thought I just did a post last Sunday.  These weeks are flying by!!  My bad.  I'm really trying to stay consistent but I swear it seems like I go to sleep on a Monday and wake up and it's Sunday again.  Smh.... But anyway, I SURVIVED THANKSGIVING!!!

But before I go into my thanksgiving weekend let me tell you about last week.   Oh.  My.  Gawd. Becky. Chipotle done showed out!  Ok I was on some lazy mess last Wednesday after work and called my self going to Chipotle to order rice - just rice - cause I had a tofu stir fry I wanted to finish off and I didn't feel like boiling more rice. I know, lazy.  Anyway, I walk into the restaurant and normally, there was a line.  So as I stood in line waiting, I noticed that their signs were different.  I also noticed there was a small sign on the food window ahead of me that was talking about something new they were serving.  And in true "people are always in the way" fashion, the people in front of me was making it impossible for me to read the sign.  But, in true "Infinityface is a nut" fashion, it took me to get all the way to where it's my turn to notice that the same sign on the food window was high up on the wall along with the rest of the menu!  (Insert side eye here).  Chipotle is now serving spicy braised tofu called Sofritas as a meat substitute.  The worker behind the glass let me sample some of the Sofritas; Oh my goodness it is sooooooo good!  Mmmmm mmmm mmmm. My intentions were to walk of there with rice- I did!  But I also left out of there with Sofritas, salsa, corn salsa, guacamole, lettuce and lemon wedges on top on my rice!  Lol.  So yeah, ummmmm..... That stir fry got the back seat that night!

I started blogging on 10/26. It is now 11/30 and I have to say that things are getting better for me and some changes I made are becoming part of the norm for me.  As far as being vegan, honestly I don't really notice any difference as far as physically or mentally yet. Well, ok so as of September 23 I had
a picture in my phone of me on a scale and it said I weighed 226.  As of  November 20 I weigh in at
209!!!!  (Insert a round of applause).  So in two months I somehow lost 17 pounds.  But I don't notice any difference. I must say that I shed a few tears when I saw 209 on my scale cause I haven't seen that number since the birth of my son in 2005.  Pre pregnancy I was weighing in at 175.   I guess I didn't notice cause when I decided to become vegan, it wasn't necessarily to lose weight. It was to become a better me. It is because I refuse to take maintenance medications if I can help it.  I'm done with looking to my scale for gratification.  I also probably didn't notice the weight loss due to the fact that, like I said, I'm kinda lazy so my style is.... Let's call it lazy chic.  I live in compression leggings, tunics, cardigans and scarves.  I also live in workout clothes. So yes, I stay in elastic!

Those daily meditations/affirmations  have also become part of my morning routine.  What I have started doing is when my alarm goes off in the morning, i snooze it and then go to my phone (which is already in my bed under the covers somewhere with the earphones connected) and my YouTube  vid is already up. So I just plug in my earbuds and push play and go halfway back to sleep until I
snooze 7 more times before I get up.  I must say that I've noticed that I speak more positive and I
have high hopes and determination for me and friends I'm close with.  I've always been a cheerleader for my loved ones but I'm like extra with it now.   BUT! I will say this.....  I've been super excited about finally becoming a vegan that I expressed my joy to friends and co workers and they all tried to say something negative about my choice.  "I mean u can still be healthy and eat meat in smaller portions", "girl, I don't know how you do it cause I need meat!" " ugh.... But how do you get your protein?"  " how about fish? No cheese? Or no milk??"  " girl you need to stop playing!  Talk to me about that in a year, You're still new to it." "Ugh what is that?"   I mean the reactions I was getting from these people were equivalent to me saying I ate my first born.  I even had to "read" my co workers during a potluck because I asked if there was butter in the sweet potatoes.  "Aw c'mon Deirdre!  Really?  Butter?  You're being petty!" BITCH BYE!!  First of all, do I turn my nose at your eating choices?  Am I all in your face -while you're eating- telling you that the animal you just ate used to burp, fart, doo doo and pee?  Like, you are eating something that shitted. ( insert confused
black girl meme here).     So to woo saa on my counterparts I no longer express my lifestyle changes as that can be discouraging to have to defend my choices constantly.  Sigh, let me see if there is a "Ya
 Trick Ya" affirmation I can begin listening to.

Ok, I finally worked out!   I went on and did the Yoga Meltdown by Jillian Michaels.  I really like this DVD.  The number one reason why I like this workout is because I am top heavy and it hurts to bounce around and get knocked in the chin by my breasts.  I mean I sweat really hard doing this cardio workout and I literally never bounced!  Sure some of the positions are a little hard to get into but I'm sure it will become easier over time with me becoming more flexible.  There were a lot of body weight positions I had to hold and repetitions. I REALLY REALLY like this workout.  My goal is to do it everyday for a week to see if I lose 5 pounds like the cover claims.  I keep looking at my Insanity videos making  life or death decisions on whether or not ill do it.  Shoot, I have asthma and big breasts!  I won't be able to breath and I'll have a bruised chin! Lol.  Nuh uh, too much bouncing.


Thanksgiving has come and gone and I survived.  You know, I can actually say that surprisingly my family was really supportive of my decisions to be vegan.  I never had to go on the defense with them. Although they didn't make anything special, one of my sisters didn't cook her greens with meat or meat broth, and she left a small portion of her dressing with no chicken in it. But  what I did do
was eat before I met up with the family.  That's all!   I guess because in my family, thanksgiving dinner has been the exact same since before I was born.  Turkey, ham, duck, Pot Roast, dressing, Mac and cheese, sweet potatoes, greens and assorted pies.  I've had them every year of 30 years, it was easy to say no.  Now, I ain't gone lie, if they switched it up and did..... Seafood, for thanksgiving.... Oh boy, I may have folded and gave in.  I can imagine the whole time I would eat the crab leg out my gumbo with a side of shrimp  and be thinking to myself  "girl you know you gone have to take some Smooth Move before bed and try this vegan thing later!  Lol

I also want to let you guys know that there is another part of reading that I have been doing.  Honestly I haven't been reading those self help books. I made it to like the 5th chapter if The Rules and I bought that Kimora book years ago and I am one of those readers where once I've read it, I can't really read it again.  I have come to realize that I don't need those books.  If you don't like me, Fuck You!   But what I have been reading are books to continue my education on black history.  I've become more conscience about things.  What made me really take a look at myself  is when my son began to go to a predominately white school and I became aware that he won't be taught the whole truth about history and his history.    So I then made to choice to continue to read and research so I can elaborate on the education my son is getting at school. I need him to know that there are other heroes besides The Great Martin Luther The King (yes I did spell his name like that).  It dawned on me that my baby, whose currently in the 4th grade, will have a harder life ahead of him than his classmates purely because he is black.  So as a mother, it is my job and duty to ensure he knows more than he is taught at school. Besides, as a parent it would be foolish of me to rely solely on the school district to teach my son.  So over this past month my son and I have watched Hidden Colors and Hidden Colors2.  I read From Babylon to Timbuktu and I am now finishing up a book that was given to me by one of my clients called Ebony pictorial history of Black History vol2 reconstruction to Supreme Court Decision 1954.   Last night I ordered the Isis Papers on Amazon.  I can't wait until it
gets here.  I really look forward to reading it.  What I have also ordered is The Art of War on Audible where I listen to it on my way to and from work.  I like Audible only for books that I keep hearing are good reads but I know I'll never pick up the book.  So I can now say Im familiar with The Art of War and how to apply those military tactics to my life.   Hell, maybe instead of The Rules, I can apply the tactics I learned from Art of War to my dating life.



Alright guys, I'm done til next time.  Thanks for coming to see me I really appreciate you!  Hey,  if you have the time click the like button or drop me a comment so I can place a name to a view!

To Infinity and Beyoooond........FACE!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment